- 2 tbsp. peanut oil divided 1 tbsp. Cajun seasoning
- 10 oz. andouille sausage, cut into rounds
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 onion, diced 1 small green bell pepper, diced 2 celery stalks, diced 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (16 oz.) crushed Italian tomatoes
- 12 tsp red pepper flakes
- 12 tsp ground black pepper
- 12 teaspoons hot pepper sauce 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp filing powder
- 14 cups white uncooked rice
- 2 tbsp chicken broth
1 tablespoon peanut oil, heated in a large heavy Dutch oven over medium heat. Cajun seasoning should be sprinkled on the sausage and chicken pieces. Brown the sausage in a skillet. Set aside after removing with a slotted spoon. Cook the chicken pieces in 1 tablespoon peanut oil until they are lightly browned on all sides. Set aside. Remove with a slotted spoon.
Sauté the onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic in the same pot until tender. Season with red pepper, black pepper, salt, hot pepper sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and file powder to taste. Combine the chicken and sausage in a mixing bowl. Cooking time: 10 minutes
Combine the rice and chicken broth in a mixing bowl. Bring to a boil, then reduce to low heat and continue to cook for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the liquid has been absorbed.