- 12 c. mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped red onion 1 tbsp. ketchup
- 1 tbsp. sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon drained and chopped capers
- 1 teaspoon fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 12 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 18 tsp white sugar
- 1 pound ground beef that is 85 percent lean
- 1 12 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 thin slices (0.5 oz) 12 mini brioche buns, quartered with cheddar cheese
- 1 small head shredded iceberg lettuce
- 6 sliced cherry tomatoes 3 cornichons (tart pickled gherkin cucumbers)
Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high (400 to 450°F (200 to 230°C)).
In a small mixing bowl, combine mayonnaise, red onion, ketchup, vinegar, capers, parsley, thyme, and sugar.
Place the beef in a large mixing bowl. Combine 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a small mixing bowl. Hand-mix until just combined. Roll the beef mixture between your palms to form 12 meatballs; place on a baking sheet. Tops should be slightly flattened. Drizzle with oil and season with the remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper on both sides.
Place patties on oiled grill grates and cook for 3 minutes, uncovered. After flipping, top each with 1 piece of cheese. Grill, uncovered, for 2 minutes, or until the cheese melts and the beef is cooked through. Meanwhile, place the buns cut-side down on the grate and grill for 1 minute, or until toasted.
Place a small spoonful of sauce on the bottom of each bun. Add a patty, shredded lettuce, tomato slices, cornichon slices, and bun tops to your sandwich.
Celebrity chef Wolfgang Puck offers four pro-party-planning tips:
1. Serve small portions, such as these sliders, so that people can move around freely and snack on different foods during the show.
2. Take something simple—say, popcorn, which is a great canvas for flavor—and dress it up a little.
3. A celebration, in my opinion, necessitates the consumption of Champagne. Set out a few simple sparkling cocktail recipes, along with garnishes and mixers, on the bar.
4. Everybody adores pizza! Use a single dough for all of your pizzas, and top each with a different combination of ingredients, including at least one vegetarian option.